I started out with a collection of English-paper-pieced equilateral triangles, which I pieced into hexagons, then into strips, and finally appliqued onto a striped background.
The reverse side is also pieced using scraps from the top. I used up every tiny scrap of a couple of the fabrics I used for the front.
This quilt sat for months while I agonized over how to quilt it. I finally decided I needed to just take the plunge. I often use sheets of transparency film (the kind that are used on overhead projectors) and a dry-erase marker to audition different quilting designs on a printout of my quilt top. (My color printer is broken -- hence the B&W printout -- but it doesn't really matter, at least for this quilt).
Just lay the film on top of the printout and draw away. (Note: don't use tape on your transparency film; the sticky stuff it leaves behind collects the ink from the markers and you get the dark patches you see above).
Here are the three designs I auditioned with the winner on the far right. As you can see, I'm not too precise with my sketching. I'm just trying to get a sense of the way the quilting lines interact with the design of the top.
And a close-up of the quilting.